Position Title: Director of Youth Ministry
Classification: Part-time, (15-20 hours/week)
Salary: Commensurate with Experience and Education
Lead young people in 6th -12th grade to engage in ministry projects and programs that encourage and equip youth to grow in faith as Christian disciples. Advocate for youth and oversee youth activities. Provide for spiritual growth, fellowship and mission service opportunities.
Oversee ministry opportunities and learning experiences for youth (6th-12th grade) in the congregation and community that will help them grow as Christian disciples and move into a closer relationship with God. Collaborate with staff, church leaders, youth and their parents to address the needs of youth and their families in a healthy and safe environment. Youth ministry shall be for, with, and by youth. Presence required Sunday mornings. Other days and hours TBD.
- Maintain a healthy and growing spiritual life and lead others to do the same. Pay attention to the hopes, concerns, and needs of youth in the church and community to determine how Trinity UMC might serve them and their families, and how they might serve one another as Christian disciples.
- Co-lead and anchor faith formation classes, groups and activities. Connect youth ministry to the overall goals of the congregation. Include youth in all aspects and ministries of the church, and encourage all youth to participate.
- Raise awareness in the congregation of youth issues, needs and contributions in the community and the world. Collaborate with staff, youth and others to plan and carry out youth ministry that includes variety, worship, study, fellowship, and action (e.g., retreats, service trips, stewardship activities and outreach experiences.)
- Promote understanding of Christian vocation in daily life, building an understanding of God’s call for all Christians.
- Advocate for quality leaders and excellent mentors who encourage young people to develop their gifts, skills, ideas and personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Communicate with organizations, people, and resources that relate to youth, and seek to connect Trinity with the community. Be a guiding presence at youth council meetings (if organized); represent youth and families at Church Council meetings. Collaborate with Christian Education Director to select curriculum and resources in order to teach and lead young people.
Spiritual Gifts: servanthood, teaching, encouragement, leadership, administration, helping, Shepherding
Skills: Biblical literacy, spiritual disciplines, human and faith development, relationship building, collaborative planning, organization; ministry implementation, follow up and evaluation. Ability to access multiple resources; communicate (interpersonal, written, oral, digital, presentation); facilitate small groups; think and plan creatively; work collaboratively; motivate and encourage others; teach; listen; plan; organize; coordinate events and activities; administration and record-keeping. Proficiency with current technologies including web page creation and maintenance, and social media. Listen well and communicate effectively with people of all ages.
Education and Training
Bachelor Degree, UM Certification in Youth Ministry or Family Ministry preferred. Complete Safe Gatherings online training, Trusted Employees background check as well as workshops and training events as needed.
Visual and hearing acuity to perform job functions, Ability to reach, kneel, stoop, bend, run, climb stairs and lift up to 25 pounds. Physical fitness and stamina to supervise high-energy young people indoors and outside.